Annons:
Tags:Β otherchat-thread
Read 323 times
JayCricket
2022-01-19 22:54

General chat-thread

Considered that this site still hasn't got a chat-thread, so thought I could create one where you can talk about anything between heaven and earth, or just about your love for dogs. 😊

"We're All Mad Here"
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Annons:
JayCricket
2022-01-19 23:02

Speaking of love for dogs, just realized I haven't updated you about how I find my new workplace (doggy daycare).

I like it very much.
Seriously the day seem to be on a speed up pace, because you get the feeling that it's time to go home sooner than it should be. πŸ˜…
Naturally, the furry darlings are wonderful.
We have a few poodles there and one of them always jumps up to lie in your lap and snooze. πŸ₯°
Another breed we have a few of are pugs.
They are also really fun to be around.

"We're All Mad Here"

Maleficum
2022-01-19 23:53

#1: Sounds like you found the perfect place to work at!

Our Poodle, Mira, is a cuddler (and hugger), she could lie in your lap all day long if she gets the chance! My dad wake up really early and spends the morning in sofa watching TV and our poodle always joins him when she wakes up and take a nap in his lap until she feels she needs to pee, then they go outside for a break and go back inside to take another nap in his lap until mum wakes up and had her breakfast because then its morning walk πŸ˜…

Every time I visit mum and dad the first thing Mira dose is take my finger or hand in her mouth and then climb on to my lap snuggling in as tight as she can "sucking" at my hand. It's like my hand are her personal pacifier.

Her dad was a hugger too and the first thing he did when we met the breeder to look at the puppies was to jump up in my lap and just lean into me so I could hug him πŸ₯°

Deviantart, photos, drawing and paintings.

JayCricket
2022-01-20 03:15

#2: indeed I did. 😁
Aw… your Mira sounds wonderful 😻
Ah, haha I see, so it's a hereditary trait? πŸ˜‰

"We're All Mad Here"

Tismon
2022-01-20 04:43

#1: That sounds really wonderful! Pugs have such charming personalities πŸ₯°

How many dogs do you walk at once? What does your days look like?

Correlation does not equal causation.

Host of Dogs and Art Savvity

Maleficum
2022-01-20 21:20
Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Visited mum and dad today and of course got hugged by Mira!

She really presses into me.

Tismon
2022-01-20 23:32

#5: Awww so adorable 😍

Annons:
JayCricket
2022-01-21 09:08

#5: aw, she seem like such a darling. (One can't Help but get poodle fever…) πŸ₯°

"We're All Mad Here"

JayCricket
2022-01-21 09:16

#4: yeah, they sure are. πŸ₯°

Well, usually we walk in a group, so about 6-8 dogs at once.
Sometimes we split up so one can get a bit more privacy.
The one I walked on wednesday had problems with his stomach so it was good that we could walk on our own.

Well, we have 3-4 walks on the morning, and the same after lunch.
Cleaning I prefer to do during lunchtime.
And then ofc theres lots of playtime with the dogs. 😊

Cant explain my day better than that…

"We're All Mad Here"

Tismon
2022-01-21 17:09

#8: So you (the staff) walk together? How many dogs each do you walk? I've heard of people walking 5 dogs per person and I would be scared of getting torn into pieces haha. But you guys seems to give every individual dog more of your time? :)

Sounds wonderful! Playing with a pack of dogs, you must be in dog heaven 🀩

Do you accept puppies? Teenager dogs? Do all dogs have to be leash trained?

Maleficum
2022-01-22 12:12

#9: When I doggysat my friends and family dogs I ended up walking five dogs at one time. It worked out fine until poop time because then everyone went in different direction and it got really heard picking it up πŸ˜‚ But as long as we where moving forward it was surprisingly easy!

It was our labrador, my friends powder puff/poodle that lived with me at the time, his son (my aunt dog) poodle/powder puff/cavalier/jack russel/dachshund, my friends mums dogs phalène mix and powder puff/chihuahua.
Luckily the powder puff/chihuahua recently had surgery so she mostly sat inside my jacked during the walk or walked right behind me and didn't really need a leach.
And our lab an the puff/poodle was used to walking together and sometimes on a double dog leash so they naturally just walked beside each other.

But I do prefer not walking so many dogs.

Maleficum
2022-01-22 13:51

I'm bunnysitting these two cuties :)

Maleficum
2022-01-22 14:05

And I manage to comb through most of Wulfes fur today without him getting to panicky and he never shut down (tried doing it as fast as possible and not linger to long at the hard parts, just doing enough so it hopefully wont start matting right away again).

I feel so sorry for Wulfe being born with the worst fur ever (almost feels like it mats directly at the skin when it grows out) and being extremely sensitive in his skin making it really painful with fur care :(

Two weeks ago I had to cut out a lot of mats (again) and he really panicked and after a while just shut down and his eyes looked dead :( and I felt like the worst owner in the world!

I have gotten some drugs from the vet to try next time I have to cut his fur so hopefully it will make him feel calmer and not so stressed that he enter the tonic immobility state like he does now.

Later today it's Moiras turn for some grooming. At least she only gets really angry and not panicked.

Tismon
2022-01-22 17:24

#10: I can Imagine! Picking up poop from 5 different dogs at the same time sounds like a handful! Must have been really nice then, to walk so many dogs at once peacefully. My own dog is a puller so I imagine 5 different Bismo's running in opposite directions would just tear my limbs apart πŸ˜… I'm really struggleing with leashtraining but hopefully when I've saved up some money I can get professional Help. The "stop walking when dog pulls" never works because he get's more stressed when he isn't moving which just creates more angst and frustration.

I can Imagine it being very inconvenient to walk that many dogs. I'd love to try it myself though (if they can all walk peacefully), I think I'd be in dogheaven hahaha

• Edited by Tismon 2022-01-22 17:24
Annons:
Tismon
2022-01-22 17:27

#11 & #12: SO cute!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love bunnies they are so fluffy and so soft. Poor Wulfe, I hope it gets better with time. You shouldn't feel like a bad person, you're helping him and it would propably be even more painful if you just let the fur grow. Isn't there like conditioner spray or something (oil??) you can use to untangle the fur and maintain it?

Maleficum
2022-01-22 19:02

#13: Surprisingly enough the dogs, for some reason, behaved better when all walking together than what they sometime did when walking alone.

#14 Sadly I don't think there is any conditioning product for rabbits :( I'm also hoping it will get better with time when he realizes it feels good after. I just have to find a working grooming routine where I don't have to do the grooming too often but at the right times to avoid the fur getting matted.

I'm used to angoras and how there fur works but these two seems to have (bad) swiss fox fur (Fuchs in Swedish) that works completely different from angora fur (even if both kinds get long). So I have to figure out was the best managing plan is.

Angoras fur never stops growing and you cut it every three month (or more often) and it grows out evenly again right away.

Swiss fox fur grows like normal fur (but gets longer on the body) and they shed it like a normal rabbit (and that's when it will mat) so after they got a shave down (after they were rescued) the fur grows back al patchy and weird because the rabbits don't shed everything at once but in patches (so the fur don't grow out all at once either). Making it difficult to know when to groom (and where on the rabbit to groom) at different times.

But I will probably continue to shave at least Wulfe now in the beginning even if he will look like he got mange πŸ˜‚ but I think it will be the easiest for us both (and hopefully his fur will get better when he gets older).

Moiras fur is more like a "correct" swiss fox fur and hopefully will only need regular combing and brushing to keep it from matting.

Tismon
2022-01-25 04:03

#15: Hmm well I guess it makes sence for dogs who know eachother well to want to stay together, whenever I walk my dog with my friend and their golden my dog walks better :)

Hmmm maybe there's conditioning spray for dogs or cats that could work on rabbits?

Maybe you could make it a habit that everytime you bring a scissor he gets a treat. After repeating for several days/weeks, you try touching him with the scissor, just like you were to pet him. Reward with lots of treats. And next step would be cutting just one lump of hair each "training session" followed with lots and lots of rewards?

Maleficum
2022-01-26 22:41

#16: I use lots of rewords (when he takes them), the problem is that I need to comb/brush them at least once a week to keep the fur in check (and probably will need daily grooming when the start shedding) so not easy going slow with the training.

Did another combing session today. Moira got really pissed at me and gave a hard thump after πŸ˜‚
Wulfe let me use the trimmer to shave around his tail (started matting there again even though I cut it all down three weeks ago and brushed it last time) but as soon as I try combing his skin starts twitching like crazy and he gets super uncomfortable (and then wont take treats at all). I wanted to shave the underside of him but he totally panicked when I tried touching him there (so I think I need Help, one holding and one shaving)
A problem with shaving is that there fur are so thick and soft so it's really hard getting it to cut (even with a 40 blade that many vets uses).

But I'm starting to suspect some underlying problem because is fur feels really dry and sparse. Not as thick and glossy as Moiras fur. I just can't figure out what can cause it but hopefully a vet will know what it can be.

Maleficum
2022-01-26 22:45

I forgot attaching this cute picture from yesterday!

Even with all his problem Wulfe really know how to relax! Moira is a bit more alert and don't "die" in the same way as Wulfe.

(And yes, rabbits often sleep with there eyes open).

Tismon
2022-01-28 17:53

#17: hmm maybe he has some nutritional deficiency? I'm not sure about rabbits but for my dog, I give him fish oil and it makes his coat shiner and healthier looking. Maybe there are some oils that are good for rabbits? Olive oil?

#18: such cuties! It makes me happy knowing that they are feeling safe enough to be able to relax :)

• Edited by Tismon 2022-01-28 17:53
Tismon
2022-01-31 12:32

I think it's adorable when dog guardians think their dog is the cutest dog in the world, it shows how much they love their furbaby πŸ₯°

Annons:
Maleficum
2022-02-01 11:51

#19: I have a vet appointment tomorrow with Wulfe to talk about his fur but also he has started sneezing in the late evenings when lying stretched out and he also sometimes get uncontrolled itching so he starts scratching so frenetic that he can't hold his balance (but not everyday, really inconsistent). So I'm starting to suspect something neurological maybe :/

Hopefully they find something easy to treat that makes his fur better and make it stop hurting during grooming.

Tismon
2022-02-01 13:14

#21: Poor baby :( Maybe they could prescribe some kind of medication?

Maleficum
2022-02-02 15:08

The visit to the vet was.. interesting. The vet called him "skogstokig" (wild/bonkers don't know any good English word for it) after examining him πŸ˜‚ She had to sit with him on the floor because he tried to launch himself of the table.
His ears was "rudely fine" (ofΓΆrskΓ€mt fina) and his teeth looked good and no parasites in the fur (but some weird blue flakes). The vet understood why his fur matted so easily after looking at it in microscope but also saw a lot of new fur growth on the way and hoped the quality would be better now that he has good nutrition. He also got a b-vitamin injection to boos the fur.

I'm also gonna try giving him Metacam (Meloxikam) for two weeks to see if his itchiness and sore skin will be better (and hopefully I can groom him without him being in a lot of pain). If it doesn't work I will go back and take blood samples.

It feels a lot better now when a lot of possible reasons have been eliminated!

Next up is neutering Moira but I think that will be after Wulfes treatment (in case he has to go back for blood samples then I can take him at the same time).

Tismon
2022-02-03 15:46

#23: Oh, how did you manage to keep him calm enough to be able to be examined by the vet? It males me happy to know that he atleast seem healthy otherwise :) Hopefully the supplements will Help him and his fur!

She isn't neutered? Then is wulfe neutered?

Maleficum
2022-02-04 11:44

#24: Luckily It was an experienced exotic vet (almost only take exotic pets like rabbits, reptiles, birds and the like) so she knew what she was doing and could hold him. But they did have to make a burrito out of him to examine the ears and mouth, but apparently it wasn't easy getting him there πŸ˜‚

He was luckily neutered from the start! They were sold as two bucks, one neutered and one not neutered so I told the person that was going over to look at them to check the sexes of them (first I thought it could be one intact buck with a doe = risk of babies 😱) and it turned out being a neutered buck and a doe (I suspect she isn't neutered because she get small hormonal surges typical for intact does).

She don't seem to have to much hormone surges as one of my former does had, but there are a big risk of uterine problems in intact does (around 60-80% of does over 4 has some kind of change in there uterus) and hopefully some of her grumpiness will be better if she is neutered (just hoping her nervousness won't get worse).

Tismon
2022-02-06 02:46

#25: wow good thing she were experienced! Were you waiting ojtside or were you also there at the time of the exam?

I see! Does it come with a lot of risks to neuter a female rabbit? I've never thought about it and when it's a male the procedure seem more simple.

Maleficum
2022-02-06 16:00

#26: I was there for the first exam but then she had to go "back stage" with him for the ear and mouth check.

It's a bit of a risk for the does, because rabbits are so sensitive about there intestines and you have to get through them to get to the uterus it is really important to have a skilled vet used to neuter female rabbits! And after it is super important to get them to feed as soon as possible (not always easy so often you have to Support feed them the first day/s). Because Moira is extremely food motivated I'm hoping she will eat on her own. I took care of my friends doe after she was neutered and she was really slow in starting to eat on her own :(

Males are much easier! My previous rabbit got castrated on my bar table πŸ˜‚ He had recently become blind so the vet was nice enough to come home to me and do it to eliminate the stress of travelling and strange places and smells when he already had to adjust to not seeing anything.

Annons:
Tismon
2022-02-06 19:48

#27: aha, then it makes sence that it "appearently" was hard if you weren't there to watch it yourself :)

Woow if I had a female rabbit I'd actually be scared to neuter her. Sounds really scary and I'd be so worried! Even worse if they can't eat by themselves I world worry myself to death 😡

How nice of your vet to come to you! It is always best to eliminate as much stress and hassle as possible. If I had known it was an option I would perhaps let my previous dog be put down at home, he was so scared and worried the last moment my heart breaks everytime I think about it.

Maleficum
2022-02-07 01:05

#28: I've been lucky to have my last rabbit be put down at home (he did fall a sleep fast but refused to die! So typical of him, stubborn until the end! But I got the chance to really spend a long time petting him (he never really appreciated to much petting when he was alive) before he finally got a last syringe right in the heart). It was so calm and nice and no stress!

Also our lab was put down at home and my friends dog (that lived with me at the time) was put down here at home (with my friend present of course) and he really loved the vet (after we did like daily long walks with the the vet when she was at home with there newborn because it was the only time the baby would sleep, being walked in a wrap carrier) so he was happily waiving his tail while she prepared all the stuff. It felt so good knowing they were really happy until the end! It really makes such a big difference!

At home euthanasia should be something every vet practice offered for both the animals and owners but sadly I think very few does it :(
Overall more mobile vets should be a thing to be able to do routine checks and vaccinations and other such thing at home were the pet feels safe.

Maleficum
2022-02-07 10:19

When you medicate rabbits you realises how different they really are!
Wulf weigh 2,8kg and now he is getting the same amount of Metacam that you would give a 15kg dog, TWO times a day! (Dogs usually only get a single dose a day).
I understand why I got the big dog bottle!

Tismon
2022-02-07 15:02

#29: What I like when he was falling asleep was that he wasn't euthanized by injections, they gave anesthetic so that he fall asleep calmly and then overdosed him, I think it is very a humane way to go. I'm not sure if it is possible to bring that to someone elses home so i guess the only choice world be injections? Before he got sedated, he was so stressad and I still feel awful even if it has almost been 4 years since he passed away :(

I totally agree that it should be more of a thing! Unfortunally I think it is hard since so many vets are so overworked, they need to remain at the clinic in case of emergencies I think

Tismon
2022-02-07 15:04

#30: Wow that is really a lot!!!

Maleficum
2022-02-07 17:58

#31: At home I think they have to use injections (don't think you can bring anything else along) but they always start with an injection in the neck (like you would give a vaccine or similar stuff) so most pets don't react to it and after they fallen asleep they find a blood vein and give the "blue stuff" (overdose) and most of the time they die of it but if it doesn't work they can give some other stuff right into the heart (I have had two rabbit now having to get it right in the heart, for the dogs and one other rabbit I had to euthanise the "blue stuff" was enough).

#32 It really is! But it also makes it a bit easier to give. I know when I had to give my canaries medicine and they should have like one little drop of medicine (and it always got smeared all around there beak and face) it was really hard do give the right dose even with the smallest syringe.

Luckily Wulfe loves the Metacam so I don't have to force him (and make handling even more negative for him), just have to keep Moira occupied with some other treats or she tries to steal it!

Tismon
2022-02-08 13:53

#33: Yes the injection is a sedation I believe, it only makes the animal sleep. I've had to sedate my lab a couple of times due to his extreme anxiety when you clean his ears.

I had a friend tell me about when she once brought in a stray kitten to the vet and they said it wasn't gonna make it. She told me about when they put the "deadly injection" the kitten kept twitching and yelping in pain until it finally died. It was propably a freak accident and not something that normally occurs but it really put me off πŸ˜“

I Imagine it makes the whole procedure easier! You're really lucky he likes it, then he won't have have any aversive experiences in this case. Hopefully you can avoid scary stuff all together until you built his confidence

Annons:
Maleficum
2022-02-08 16:05

#34: Probably an accident :(

At least with Kenzie the heart injection was a last resort so we didn't need to wait any longer (he would have died eventually and never woken up but the vet couldn't tell when and didn't want to leave until comfirmed death).

It really does! And Moria like it too (had to let her have a taste :P) witch is good because she will get it after she is neutered and then I really don't want any struggles risking the wound.

Tismon
2022-02-09 00:14

#35: Yeah most likely, I'm just scared it would happen to any of my pets. When he passed away I felt so awful for his last moment being so stressful. Felt guilty for 2 years. If that would have happened I'm not sure if I could manage

Understandable. You can let an animal die and most likely suffer to the end, or you can make sure they fall asleep fast and painless

Oh well even better! It always makes me happy when you can treat your pets without force. So happy she likes it! I really hope the surgery will have no complications!

I used to have a rabbit myself when I was a child. Never neutered him and I'm not even sure if it was common to neuter rabbits 15 years ago. It's amazing how much things change over the years. Back then everyone was told that rabbits only lived 3 years

Tismon
2022-02-09 00:17

My heart always feel so warm when my dog is happy I can't Help smiling. The most amazing thing is when you look at your pet and the eyecontact just make you feel gitty! And they look at you with those big eyes!

Tismon
2022-02-09 00:20

I feel this

url.jpg

Maleficum
2022-02-09 00:40

#36: My first rabbit was neutered (and that was more then 20 years ago) although I think it was mostly only the male rabbits (and mostly if you wanted it together with another rabbit).

Sadly a study in England found the average lifespan on rabbits to only be 4,3 years (a bit higher for males and lover for females) because people don't know how to take care of them (most health issues was due to wrong diet and housing). And it's really sad in today's time where information only are a click away on the internet (and so much study have been done on what they need).

In the wild rabbits live for average 1-2 years but for domestic rabbit they usually say 6-10 or years now (oldest I heard of in Sweden became 17). And like with dogs the smaller breeds usually live longer than bigger breeds (and angoras).

My first angora almost lived for five years (she got an aggressive heart tumour) and my two other does lived a bit more than five years and my first buck became 6 years and nine days (son and brother to the two does) and my latest (Kenzie) who also was my sickest was just three month shy of being seven years old! He had Encephalitozoon cuniculi and became blind at 7 month old.

UK study is the largest analysis to date on the health status of pet rabbits under primary veterinary care
Maleficum
2022-02-09 00:46

#37: It's the best feeling!
And I always get extra happy when it's Miras grooming time (or nail trimming time) and she runs to her grooming table, but her front paws up on it and looking at me really exited waging her tail! Then I know I really succeeded in her training!
She absolutely know she gets lots of treats when she's on the table.
And when we are done she runs right to the scale and jumps on for a weigh in!

Tismon
2022-02-09 19:08

#39: I see! It makes sence then, I mean if you are keeping rabbits together. I'm not sure how regulations is today but back then you could keep one rabbit as long as you give them constant company.

That's really sad. But I'm happy we are making progress in animal wellfare. I've heard that a normal age for rabbits to reach is 12 years but I guess it's just lile you already said - depending on what breed it differs. It makes me glad to hear that we now have enough knowledge to provide species-appropiate-diet and care for our bunnies.

Aww must have been tough for Kenzie being blind but it sounds like you provided him with appropiate care considering he still got 7 years despite being sick. Wow, you've had many rabbits! I had a loop-eared bunny named Benny and one, I think they're called lionheads in English? Her name was Zalley but I did not have her for long because she broke out of her cage and escaped. I mostly kept Benny alone but spent so much time with him. He was such a sweetheart.

Annons:
Tismon
2022-02-09 19:11

#40: Wooow you have really made proper training with Mira! My own boy never had a problem with nail trimming until i started cleaning his ears and it hurt him so bad that he is now sceptic of even nail trimming. She sounds so cute, it must be such a happy feeling to have such an eager dog!

• Edited by Tismon 2022-02-09 19:12
Maleficum
2022-02-09 22:52
Preview of image 1 of 11
Preview of image 2 of 11
Preview of image 3 of 11
Preview of image 4 of 11
Preview of image 5 of 11
Preview of image 6 of 11
Preview of image 7 of 11
Preview of image 8 of 11
Preview of image 9 of 11
Preview of image 10 of 11
Preview of image 11 of 11

#41: I only think it was hard for Kenzie in the beginning and mostly before he became totally blind because then he easily got scared when things were moving and he didn't hear them (I had to put a bell on the dogs collar so he could hear him). But after he lost all his vision he used the dog as a guide in the beginning (put his whiskers against the dogs back leg and followed him around). He really loved that dog! (It was Fjant, the pride dog, that lived with me when Kenzie was young).

#42 I have done nails on dogs that ran and hid as soon as they spotted the clipper and did the same as soon as they thought it was grooming time and I decided from the beginning that I never wanted Mira to be like that! I just hope she won't get as bad experience as your dog so she starts to fear it!
I did accidentality get the quick at one time (lots of blood) but I was superfast with lots of treats as soon as I realized I done it and the next time I did the nails I did go back to give one treat/claw (usually I only give one/paw) and she didn't seem to get bothered by it and is as eager as ever!

She also do jump up on her own as soon as she feels I'm ready to lift her :) Really helpful!
Although she do get bored when I'm doing a full groom on her and she still don't really like when I'm doing her front legs but now we can do everything on our own (in the beginning during the full groom mum or dad had to act "treat dispenser" to distract her.
Last times I did things in stages instead of everything at the same time so I did her nose, head, feet and sanitary area and then a week later the body, legs and tail (I think I never did her ears this time). And after I was done and put her on the ground she wanted up on the table again!

I had to dig up some old photos of Fjant and Kenzie together! In the beginning I think Kenzie was the annoying younger brother to Fjant but when Kenzie got older Fjant really liked him and they even did play together a few times.

Kenzie loved Fjant
Tismon
2022-02-10 00:26

#43: I'm sorry but I just can't…

I can't…

They're TOO CUTE!!! Fjant and Kenzie are just TOO ADORABLE together!!! Kenzie is so fluffy and Fjant is such a handsome dogo! So cute when they cuddle! I love how gentle Fjant is in the video when he's playing with Kenzie πŸ₯°πŸ˜

Well it sounds like great progress! I'm always annoyed when people dismiss the power of treats, when people seem to think that you're spoiling your dog or something if you use too many treats when training your pooch. I think it's great you had someone who could act like a treat dispenser haha, it's hard doing it by yourself! It's great that she is coming around to you fixing her front legs though she might not like it. It propably means that she trust you :)

Awww she wants to do it again, that's so funny and cute. It really means you've done a great job training her!!

Maleficum
2022-02-10 10:23

#44: I love have sassy Kenzie was! First he did everything to get Fjant to start playing with him and when Fjant decide to play along Kenzie just hopped away to rest and poor Fjant is like "wasn't it playtime?".
If I remember correctly Kenzie was almost all blind on one of his eye (one did go blind a bit faster than the other, but over all it took like only a month from the first noticeable change of one of the eyes until he couldn't see anything so a really fast progress).

It feels like she trust me, she absolutely loves me! She was sitting (sleeping) in my lap all the way home from the breeder, don't know if that helped for a special bond or something.

Tismon
2022-02-12 22:28

#45: Haha yeah, Kenzie was basically trolling Fjant πŸ˜‚ I see, well still good that he wanted to play despite his poor eyesight, it shows that he felt comfortable/safe enough to be able to iniate play

AWWWW so cuute! Maybe, maybe not. I think the biggest factor is that you try to use Positive reinforcement and build her confidence instead of just forcing her or exposing her to uncomfortable situations. She has such good associations that she wants to do more grooming despite already being done. It just shows that you are doing a great job!

Maleficum
2022-02-13 16:15
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

Sadly Wulfes grooming don't go as well as Miras :P
I did manage to shave all of him again (already had mats in some places even if its only like 5 weeks since I cut his fur last time) did most of it yesterday but had to do the rest today (he got to stressed to continue). He do look a bit weird because he had some patches of "good" fur that I didn't shave.
When I picked up Wulfe today Moira got really angry and attacked me! πŸ˜‚ (I think it was more because she thought it was food on the way an less to do with me "torturing" Wulfe). She also was extra nervous after so I think she thought I would do her next.

Moira is extra grumpy right now (spring hormones is my guess) so it's time to make an appointment for neutering now (even if it still feels a bit scary).

Tismon
2022-02-13 22:47

#47: Haha yes he looks a bit odd with his uneven fur, but still cute! And his wellbeing is more important πŸ₯°

Really sad that things didn't go as smoothly with him as with Mira. Oh yeah, I can imagine spring being a very difficult time for rabbits full with hormones and I totally understand that it is scary. I'm hoping the best for little bunbun Moira, she deserves to be happy!

Annons:
Maleficum
2022-02-15 15:40

#48: I called and got an appointment to neuter Moira at the 8th of mars. So three more weeks with the grumpy fluffball (well, she will probably still be grumpy for a while after before all the hormones are out of her system).

Tismon
2022-02-15 18:42

#49: Must feel good to be done with it atleast I hope. I hope her hormones won't stay for long!

Maleficum
2022-02-15 23:38

#50: Yes, it will feel good when it's finally done :)

She was a bit less grumpy today! She jumped up on the sofa armrest and I got to pet her for like a whole minute! 😍

Tismon
2022-02-16 00:20

#51: I think so too :) Yaaay niice! Progress! Even if she is still grumpy it's a good sign she still wants your pet despite those hormones bothering her

Maleficum
2022-02-16 12:25

#52: I think it helps also that she now I never tries to pick her up when she is sitting in the sofa!

Tismon
2022-02-16 18:22

#53: it must be a relief for her! I bet it makes her feel more safe :)

Maleficum
2022-02-16 21:11

#54: I think so to. I have a few "safe zones" where I never try to pick them up (if it's not an emergency).

It's apparently not enough that the rabbit strews hay all over the floor, Sixten always come and leave bits of hay on my mouse mat!
He also sometimes try to make little computer mouse bird babies…

Annons:
Tismon
2022-02-16 22:30

#55: wait, you have a bird? πŸ˜ƒ

Maleficum
2022-02-17 23:21

#56: Yes, have a Ringneck dove (he will be 10 this December, was born 12/12-12), my own breeding that I got back when previous owner couldn't keep him any more (after my two favourite doves I had when breeding them).

I also have two canaries (old rescues and the only two left of all my rescue canaries I've had through the years).

Another (older) picture of Sixten.

• Edited by Maleficum 2022-02-17 23:21
Tismon
2022-02-18 09:59

#57: Awww that's adorable! I wonder, if you have free roaming birds inside your house (I assume you keep them in cages during the night?) do they poop everywhere?

I've always wanted gloster canaries ever since I first found out about them, they look so adorable with their little bowl haircut 😍😍😍

• Edited by Tismon 2022-02-18 09:59
Maleficum
2022-02-18 11:20
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

#58: Yes, right now I keep them caged when I'm not at home or during the night although the canaries don't leave the cage even when it's opened, but it's a big cage so they have a lot of flying room in it.

Old picture of the cage (I always kept the canaries outside on the veranda during summer so they could get natural sunlight and fresh air). And a picture of some of the canaries I've had. Now it's only the yellow/orange one and the one sitting beside it that I have left (the orange one (Baltazar) is the one I've had for the longest, sadly his two companions I got with him was to sick and didn't survive treatment). The brown one came with two brothers, his mother and father. The father died just a few days after they got here and the mother died a few year later and both his brother died of heart problem when they was still very young. Sadly the one left (Perun) have always had problems with his feet (born with or old injury) so he has problem grasping the perches.

When I bred my doves I actually didn't have a cages for the longest time and they all lived free flying in the house. They usually just poop on there favourite places they was sitting so I kept those small cheap IKEA doormats on those places and it was easy to just shake of the poop (it dries fast and don't really stick to the surface) and regularly just put them in the washer for deep cleaning.

Because I didn't plan on having doves again for a long while after my last one died I don't have it bird proofed enough to keep Sixten outside of the cage when I'm not around (only got him back at the end of the summer), especially when I'm out (because he loves to sit on the coat rack in the hall right beside the front door and likes to come flying to me when I've been gone for a short time, he even follows me in to the bathroom if I'm not closing the door).

But back to the question, he usually don't poop that much when he's out. Ant they are dry poops so its easy too clean up.

Tismon
2022-02-22 01:15

#59: Wow that's a huge cage! Aww poor birdies it must be really sad when their family died. I've heard of birds getting their feet hurt by having too straight perches? Like birds feet aren't made to sit on perfectly straight sticks so the natural sticks you have is great? Maybe that's why he had a problem with his feet (from a previous home) ?

Oh very convenient with bird poo that doesn't get sticky! And also good birds who learned to do their buisness in their favourite places! Maybe you could pottytrain birds?

• Edited by Tismon 2022-02-22 01:16
Maleficum
2022-02-22 12:04
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

#60: I think in Peruns case it seems more like he got stuck on something with his feet (maybe in the nest) because ha has poor control over his toes (and some of the nails are misshapen and missing) so he can't grip the perches (so he always sleep in a special food bowl I filled with crushed straw to make it soft).

Found an old picture of Perun (in the middle), you can see he can't really grip with his right foot. Sadly it has gotten worse through the years and now his back toe on that foot is also pointing forward. He still has some grip in his left foot but not as good as a regular bird.

He doesn't seem to have to much problems with it and I have done some adjustment in the cage (like extra food bowls with flat perches (like the red one) he can sit on easier) a big hanging flowerpot with soil where I can put greens and other stuff making it easy for him to sit and eat.

I just hope he's not in pain (not easy to tell, but he don't act like it at leats).

No, perfectly round and straight perches in the same size are not good for birds feet! They need variation for both the feet and nails so natural branches in different sizes are the best!

Tismon
2022-02-22 12:37

#61: Aww poor Perun. But atleast you compensate for his disability and I think he is happy he got a safer and better place to sleep. Even if it hurts I think he's still happy, plenty of people have cronic pain and lives with it, what matters is the quality of life and I think it seems like you provide him with grear care :) But I also hope he isn't in too much pain

I see :)

Annons:
Maleficum
2022-02-22 23:30

#62: He is singing like crazy so I think that's a good sign (both think it's spring so it's a lot of singing going on right now).

Maleficum
2022-02-27 19:27
Preview of image 1 of 3
Preview of image 2 of 3
Preview of image 3 of 3

Got a new phone with a better camera so of course I had to take some pictures of Wulfe and Moira!

Maleficum
2022-02-27 22:00

Tried the slow motion filming too.

Tismon
2022-02-27 22:15

So cuuuuuuuuute

Evelina
2022-02-27 22:16

Love the video! They are so pretty. I wish I could pet them and give them something yummy to nibble on.

Maleficum
2022-02-28 11:26

#67: If you tried giving them something you would regret it afterward πŸ˜‚ Right now Moira is a hormonal monster and if she thinks you have something yummy she attacks!

It's lucky for them they are so cute because right now they are a pain in my ass and a few times a day I'm considering making some fluffy slippers out of them πŸ˜†

Evelina
2022-03-03 18:40

#68 Lol oh no, I totally get that though! I feel for my animals but sometimes they are down right annoying. Louis my cat has now had her second dental surgery. She is such a pain in the ass because she knows we feel bad for her. She does things she never did before like lay down on top of my hands while I am typing on the computer and sleep around my head on my pillow at night. Not a day goes by that I don't consider loaning her out to someone who really needs some cat cuddles because she is too much with her forced cuddles, haha. In the end, animals are so darn cute so we put up with them.

• Edited by Evelina 2022-03-03 18:40
Annons:
Maleficum
2022-03-03 19:20
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

#69: The last few mornings I'm coming up to pee and poop everywhere! Apparently it's tiresome making a mess.

But, today I actually got to massage Moira a bit and then groom her a little getting rid of some lose fur! And she just sat there on the floor, no running or grumbling or attacking me or the comb! And I didn't even had to bribe her with treats (witch makes her super stressed and more aggressive).

Evelina
2022-03-03 19:34

#70: Oh goodness. Isn't always the case that they are sleeping soundly while the house looks like utter chaos thanks to them. I feel like they think they did a job well done.

That's really good though. Maybe Moira felt that she needed to be groomed.

Maleficum
2022-03-03 19:42

#71: I really hope she felt she needed it and that it was feeling good! I'm suspecting moulting season is around the corner and then they will need a lot of grooming (or get a new shave down and that will probably have to be done my force and I really don't want that).

Maleficum
2022-03-09 13:27
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

Yesterday Moira was neutered. She gets really tired after she gets her pain meds and yesterday he fell asleep with food in her mouth.

She has been eating a little by her self and pooping and hopping around a little but she don't want too pee (or drink :() If she don't pee soon I probably have to go back to the vet.

Evelina
2022-03-09 13:38

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Tismon
2022-03-09 18:51

#73: give her plenty of love and i hope she recover soon!

JayCricket
2022-03-12 00:48

#9: ok, sorry for a very late reply, but haven't been online for ages. πŸ˜…

To answer first question, yes, we do. but not always.
It depends on the dogs.
we have a few individuals that doesn't like other dogs much, so you kind of have to walk them one by one.

personally, I've walked two dogs at the same time, but both were smaller breeds.
my co-workers have walked three. But that's less common.
Usually it's one dog per person.
And yeah, we try to. ^^

Indeed, when you're an animal lover, it's a real treat.
Or just having lunchbreak, chilling on the sofa with maybe 3 dogs competing for the spot on your lap. πŸ₯°

We have dogs/puppies of various ages. No, not all.

"We're All Mad Here"

Annons:
Maleficum
2022-03-12 20:20
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

Moira is healing well. But I don't know how I will be able to tell when her wound is healed because the vet did such a great job stitching her up!

Here are her wounds three days after surgery. When she came home I thirst thought they hadn't cut her open because I couldn't see the wound right away.

She didn't want to pee until a lifted her out to her normal litter box!
I den realised that the can pee on floors, carpets, fleece blankets and news papers but she totally refuses to pee on towels! SO now I have a small piece of newspaper over a towel in the litter box and she now uses it unless she drags the newspaper away to chew on :P

And it's boringly calm when the rabbits are separated! And I think they both are a bit depressed about it (Wulfe spends a lot of time lying under my bed and Moira spends a lot of time lying beside the mirror door in my spare room). But it is nice not having to deal with there food stress and aggression! But without them "stressing" each other I found they do eat a lot less hay than usual.

JayCricket
2022-03-13 11:07

#77: great that she is, and wish her a speedy recovery. πŸ‘

"We're All Mad Here"

Maleficum
2022-03-14 16:44

#78: Me too! But she has to be "isolated" one more week to be completely heald before she can go back to running around with Wulfe and climbing things again. Don't know how she will take it because she already is bored and wants out!

Evelina
2022-03-15 20:28

I'm sure the week will pass by in no time. Does she need to wear a cone or anything to prevent her from getting to the stitches?

Maleficum
2022-03-16 21:40

#80: No, it's best when you don't need a cone on a rabbit (only used in very special situations but mostly vets prefer not to use them because rabbits need to eat there special poop every day and they do it directly from there bottom).

They do the stitches internally so they cant get to them.

Today she has been really cranky! Lots of growling and feign attacks. She really is fed up with being locked up in the spare room!

She do have some crusting in the wound but it is dry so I hope it's normal (I have sent a picture to a vet so hopefully I get an answer tomorrow about it). It's not easy to look at the wound because the fur is staring to grow out and she don't really want to stand still (and she still don't handle well so I prefer not to try to stress her out by catching and holding her, I did do it today to see if I could clean the crusting away but its really dry and didn't want to move so I let it be because she wasn't happy with me).

It feels like both Wulfe and Moira is a bit depressed right now, not at all there usual running around getting in to trouble. I really try spending lots of time with Moira just sitting with her and she usually starts eating hay (when realizing I don't have any treats for her).

Tismon
2022-03-21 22:42

I didn't know you could have stitches be made "on the inside"

Scroll to top
Annons:
Β