Tagsdog-ideasactivitiesenrichment
Read 125 times
Tismon
2021-12-06, 02:14

The rainy days thread

Sometimes, the weather is just awful. Maybe there is a storm or the rain is just pouring outside. In this thread, I thought we could gather indoors activities you can do together with your pooch.

• Hide and seek indoors
  • Hide treats underneath carpets, under your pillow, behind chairs etc.
  • Learning tricks - Play dead (BANG!)
  • Learning tricks - Paw
  • Learning tricks - spinn
  • Learning tricks - Sing!
  • Learning tricks - keep the treat on top of snout
  • Lickimat
  • Kong stuffed with frozen food
  • Hide toy and let dog find it!
  • Play Tug of War!

Please write down your ideas in the comments and add to the list!

Correlation does not equal causation.

Host of Dogs and Art Savvity

• Edited by Tismon 2022-04-20, 21:37
Niklas
2021-12-08, 18:11
  • House cleaning using nothing but a dog. Let her crawl under the sofa, behind the stove and toilet, hard-to-reach places in the garage and attic. This is a good way to make yourself aware of how much cleaning was needed while at the same time getting some of the dust out.

• Shoe care using nothing but a dog. The younger the dog, the better the result. Puppies are ideal. Many are unaware of the excellent softening qualities of dog saliva. It will make leather shoes, or any sort of leather really, supple and soft as if it was still on the back of a cow. Let your dog have free access to the shoes of your whole family. I promise they will not be the same once your little darling is done with them.

• Dog food tasting. No, no, not dog food! Human food. Learn what food-for-humans your dog likes. Almost nothing could be easier. You don't have to do anything. Leave the dog alone with your dinner table briefly before you shout "Dinner!" to the family. If, after a couple of minutes, however unlikely, there still is something edible on the table when the dog is gone, avoid that next time.

• Dog swim. Most dogs love water and bathing. Fill the bathtub with water. Stand beside your dog in the hallway outside the bathroom. Throw a small, or large, ball into the bathtub while shouting "Fetch!", pointing towards the bathroom. You will be impressed by the splash and waves a dog can make even in a small bathtub. It is hilarious to watch. For extra effect, you can pour candy color into the tub before you start. You will need several bottles.

• Make paw prints, the easy way. Using this method you won't even need templates, saving you both time and money. Use leftover paint from when you painted the nursery furniture. Blue, red, yellow, orange, or whatever you have. Make sure to dip the dog's paws and legs as deep into the paint cans as possible. The fur on the dog's legs will act as the ink container of a ballpoint pen, giving off color to the paws for an extended time. Your furry four-pod will make the cutest-you'll-ever-have-seen paw-prints while running around your house. Seeing them will give you many years of joy.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tismon
2021-12-08, 19:48

#1: 🤣🤣🤣 Good one(s)!

Regarding the shoe care; it would definetly work with my own dog who enjoys licking EVERYTHING. But a young dog, a pup, maybe isn't the greatest idea. It's a big possibility you won't have any shoe left to wear. It's a great way to get rid of old shoes though 😉

Tismon
2022-02-03, 18:26

Thought this thread might be relevant now at this time of the year when the rain just keeps pouring outside 🌧️

Maleficum
2022-02-04, 11:54

#1: Making paw prints made me think of a children book I had when I was little. Agel Gagel och Voffsen Kloffsen målar.

Rabbits work great for the House Cleaning part! Especially long haired rabbits! They are great at squeezing in to tight places! Although they may leave some hay behind.

Deviantart, photos, drawing and paintings.

Tismon
2022-02-06, 02:46

#4: Then at the end of the day you have one really dirty bunny 😉

Maleficum
2022-02-06, 16:01

#5: They are good at cleaning themself ;) Or just shake it of in another place :P

Tismon
2022-02-06, 19:41

#6: oh well self cleaning - even better!

Niklas
2022-02-06, 19:42

Wouldn’t it be interesting to make a painting where you dipped a dog in paint, put it on a large white paper, let it shake it off, and remove it from the paper?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tismon
2022-02-07, 15:14

#8: What dye would you use?

I have a black dog so I imagine it's easier to wash away the colour than if he was white. Maybe I should try it 😂 But the dye needs to be non toxic and safe for dogs. Maybe food coloring?

Though I'm not sure I could dip him in color considering he is a very big boy. Maybe just his paws

• Edited by Tismon 2022-02-07, 15:15
Niklas
2022-02-07, 17:13

#9: Perhaps finger paint would work? That shouldn't be harmful I guess.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Maleficum
2022-02-07, 17:45
Preview of image 1 of 3
Preview of image 2 of 3
Preview of image 3 of 3

#8 I used food colouring on Fjant when making him into a Pride dog for Hamburgsunds first Pride festival. (He was really popular).
It dries up really fast and stick to the fur (at least his fur) so I don't think it would work to shake off.

Tismon
2022-02-08, 13:55

#11: Oh right I saw Fjant earlier in a thread on ifokus, so handsome with his pride colors!

I was just thinking of dipping his paws, if I were to dip all of him in paint it would propably require massive amounts of paint haha

Maleficum
2022-02-08, 15:59

#12: For paw print I think water based acrylic paint would work (to be extra safe you cane use the kind for children).
We used acrylic paint when I did footprint of my quails feet many many years ago.

Tismon
2022-02-09, 00:04

#13: Oh nice!! Thanks for the advice! I'll buy water based acrylic and do some paw prints 😊

Scroll to top